[DWJ] Re: Gotten, was Re: DWJ on Bujold

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Wed May 14 17:43:09 EDT 2008

On May 14, 2008, at 3:24 PM, Hendon, Alison wrote:

> In re strange past tenses - I have really started noticing people
> saying
> "shined" where I learned to say "shone".  What is the past tense of
> shine?

Hmm.  I think I would find it correct in some usages, but not
others.

So I would say "I shined my shoes."

But I would say "The sun shone."

[Actually I wouldn't say either.  I wouldn't say the first because I
  never _do_ shine my shoes, and I wouldn't say the second because
  I would say "the sun was shining" or "it was sunny" or something.]

> And another pet peeve - using "gift" as a verb, instead of the
> perfectly
> good "give."

I have noticed "task" as a verb, at least coming from the east side of
the pond.  As, for instance, "I am tasked with doing this project."
What
is _that_ about?

> Alison

You can no more win a war than you can