[DWJ] Re: Gotten, was Re: DWJ on Bujold

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Wed May 14 17:36:29 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 14 May 2008, Hendon, Alison wrote:
> In re strange past tenses - I have really started noticing people saying
> "shined" where I learned to say "shone".  What is the past tense of
> shine?

I tend to say "The sun shone brightly" but "I shined my shoes" (not "I shone
my shoes").

> And another pet peeve - using "gift" as a verb, instead of the perfectly
> good "give."

There, too, I feel a subtle difference but I can't put it into words.
Possibly "gift" as a verb has more of a feeling of "bestow"-- rather more
formal and irrevocable than mere "give".

   Irina

--
     "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth
should that mean that it is not real?"           --Albus Dumbledore