[DWJ] Re: Gotten, was Re: DWJ on Bujold

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed May 14 17:14:17 EDT 2008

Otterasked anxiously

>Nobody's forgetting that "gotten" is perfectly acceptable
>on the west side of the pond, right?

Which pond?  :-)  Does it have good waterweed?

I hope they haven't.  I was speaking exclusively of an American being told
that 'gotten' was not acceptable for 1812 London fiction use because it was
regarded as 'an Americanism'; I think the point was that it is thought not
to have been a 'Londonism' of the time, and I'm not convinced it wasn't.

Colin wrote:
>>> I think
>>> what Minnow was talking about (though she was not specific about
>>> it) was
>>> 'gotten' as the past participle of 'got'.

and I concurred

>> Yes; sorry, that was what I meant.

which doesn't mention region at all, now I come to look.  My list was
evidently nowadays-London-writing based, given that it says 'deliberately
archaic' rather than 'furrin'.

As far as I know 'gotten' is ok to the west of the pond whether the pond is
the Atlantic or the Irish Sea; I'm not at all sure it isn't ok in some
dialect useage in the North of England or Scotland.  What I want to know,
really, is when 'gotten' stopped being OK in Standard Southern English or
London local-speak.

Minnow