[DWJ] Re: Gotten, was Re: DWJ on Bujold

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed May 14 15:45:51 EDT 2008

>jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:
>>> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 06:52:17PM +0100, Minnow wrote:
>>>

>> OED: 1. Obtained, acquired, won (chiefly with accompanying adverb). Now
>> rare, exc. in ILL-GOTTEN.

and Colin demurred:

>Yes, but that adjectival use is not in contention. It is acceptable on
>both sides of the Atlantic, and I think equally rare both sides. I think
>what Minnow was talking about (though she was not specific about it) was
>'gotten' as the past participle of 'got'.

Yes; sorry, that was what I meant.

'Verbs that go to en' once led to me making a list, I forget why, and to my
astonishment it is still around in a file called 'en-words'.

bound, bounden (for bounded)            deliberately archaic
Braze, brazen (for brazed)              deliberately archaic
carve, carven (for carved)              deliberately archaic
chide, chidden                          deliberately archaic
drive, driven                           normal
get, gotten (for got)                   deliberately archaic
give, given                             normal
prove, proven (for proved)              deliberately archaic
rive, riven                             deliberately archaic
strive, ? striven (?for strived?)       deliberately archaic
write, written                          normal

bright, brighten                        normal
fright, frighten                        normal
heighten (not "height" as a verb)       normal
lighten (ditto)                         normal

light down, lighten down (for lighted down)   deliberately archaic

Goodness knows what that was about: perhaps I had been reading forsoothly
fantasy too much, or something.  That last example does look that way!

Anyone got any I ought to add, while I know where they all are?  :-)

Minnow