[DWJ] Re: Gotten, was Re: DWJ on Bujold

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Wed May 14 11:49:18 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/13/2008 5:21:36 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, Roger
Burton West _roger at firedrake.org_ (mailto:roger at firedrake.org)  writes:

I have  Helen's passage from Emma as "After I had got him off so well". I
can't  find the passage from Mansfield Park at all.

That would be because Google Books has messed it up. The passage is  actually
from Henry Fielding's Joseph Andrews!!! Unfortunately I looked only at  the
snippet in the search results and didn't click through to the page  where the
mistake is obvious.

The Emma quotation was from an 1890s edition, and now that I look around, I
see that the 1890s edition is probably the odd one out, with "got" probably
the  original reading.

I apologize for muddying the waters. My fault for posting when I should  have
been doing something quite different.

Helen Schinske

favorites at AOL Food.