[DWJ] The Game (Sally Odgers)--from Digest

Kathleen Jennings kathleen.jennings at gmail.com
Tue May 13 18:26:07 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 5:39 AM, Jameela Lares <Jameela.Lares at usm.edu> wrote:
> This is probably my first post on DWJ, though I have long been on Child-Lit.  My

I thought I recognised your name!

DWJ is very good at giving the impression that there are stories
spilling over the edge of the one you are reading, that there are
worlds and events and tales that you can't quite turn the page to read
although you *want* to, and that she probably won't tell you ever
because they aren't necessary to the (quite wonderful) story at hand.

Lately, however, she seems to be developing this to a very fine pitch
- as if she has worked out the bare minimum she needs to actually tell
to convey the story she wants to tell you, while hinting at an even
more voluminous universe. The story she is telling works and is very
very good, but as a reader I am convinced that there is *so much more
out there* that it becomes a kind of exquisite torture.

Kathleen.