[DWJ] Gotten, was Re: DWJ on Bujold

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue May 13 16:02:12 EDT 2008

>On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 08:30:32PM +0100, Minnow wrote:
>
>>I have to conclude that the Project Gutenburg has edited the texts, if
>>Roger looking there didn't find any 'gottens', but Google had them in Emma
>>and Mansfield Park.

and Roger wrote

>Or Google Books is using a different edition. I don't have a source for
>the Gutenberg versions.

Argh.  I *hate* unattributed editions!  And

(having looked in the front of my -- 'tween wars some time -- Nelson
edition of *Mansfield Park*)

I hate publishers who can't be bothered to put a publication date in their
books!  Grrrr!

>I have Helen's passage from Emma as "After I had got him off so well". I
>can't find the passage from Mansfield Park at all.

In the 1940 Dent 'Everyman' the *Emma* passage is 'After I had got him off
so well', too.

Bother.  Back to the drawing board.  Waaah!  I need really venerable
English-published editions, I think.

The Everyman does have a piece in the front that says 'The text followed in
this volume of Jane Austen's works is the first edition (1816), which was
never revised by the writer herself. In a few cases where an obvious
mistake had been made or where an essential word had been inadvertantly
omitted it has been rectified, and the word or words enclosed in square
brackets; and the Publishers acknowledge their indebtedness to the late Mr.
Brimley Johnson, whose corrections and emendations they have followed', but
that really isn't totally helpful because I don't know whether they would
indicate it if Mr BJ had chosen to emend 'gotten' to 'got'.

Still, now I know where to look in an old edition of the book if I can find
one.  So thanks in any case, Helen.

Minnow