[DWJ] Gotten, was Re: DWJ on Bujold

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Tue May 13 15:08:54 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/13/2008 11:39:15 A.M. Pacific Daylight  Time, Minnow
writes:

Which  reminds me, can anyone by any chance pinpoint any places where JA
uses  'gotten'?  I need something contemporary and Utterly Acceptable In  The
Literary World to make a point for an American who has been told that  she
can't use 'gotten' in a book set in 1815 London because it's  American.

>From Emma, chapter 13 (and I'm afraid it sounds *awful* out of  context!): “
Well,” said she to herself, “this is most strange! After I had  gotten him off
so well, to choose to go into company, and leave Harriet ill  behind!”

>From Mansfield Park: To which he answered, they were some lines he had
gotten by heart out of a
play.— "Ay, there is nothing but heathenism  to be learned from plays,"
replied he ..."

It's dead easy to do this kind of search in Google Books  (books.google.com),
by the way: click on Advanced Search, put "gotten" in the  search box, and
put whatever dates you like in the "Return books published  between the years of
[blank] and [blank]." So, for example, from books between  1810 and 1825, I
found

"That we have gotten
free from all the laws of the British Parliament  by the
mutiny bill, I deny; for the post-office remains. That we
have  gotten free from the insult, I deny; for Ireland is named
in the new British  act.* That we have gotten free from the
exercise of the British mutiny bill  by our own, I deny; for
the British act has expired in our determination to  disobey it"

from the Miscellaneous Works of the Right Honourable Henry Grattan,
published 1822.

Helen Schinske

favorites at AOL Food.