[DWJ] DWJ on Bujold

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue May 13 08:42:14 EDT 2008

On Tue, 13 May 2008, Juliette Curtis wrote:
> I am reading "A Civil Campaign" by Lois McMaster Bujold. It's in the
> anthology "Miles in Love" and there's a quote from DWJ on the back cover.

ObDisclaimer 1: I love "A Civil Campaign".
ObDisclaimer 2: If there are people who don't know how much I
love DWJ, you folks are certainly not among them.

But both of those being said, DWJ is a bit of what my friend in
the publishing biz calls "a blurb whore". It is possible that she
reads all of the books for which provides blurbs. It is even
possible that she likes them all as much as she says she does,
although given her general level of snark I find that hypothesis
suspect. But as a reviewer, I read vast piles of banal mid-list
fantasy for children, and DWJ's blurbs find themselves onto the
covers of a lot of those.

Of course, THAT being said, there is nothing to be ashamed of in
doing what you can to support the careers of up-and-coming
authors.

(According to My Friend in the Publishing Biz, the biggest blurb
whore of all time is Noam Chomsky.)

> My thanks to the list for introducing me to Bujold. I am enjoying her books
> very much. Unfortunately I can't get into Heyer, although I've tried several
> times lately based on the listers' recommendations. The language is too
> right foorsoothly, even in the sensibly written books, and it drives me up
> the wall within four pages.

I picked up so many great recommendations from this list. I'm
sorry that you aren't liking Heyer, but since what I love best
about her is her completely over-the-top language, I can
definitely see that she wouldn't work for you if that part of the
joke is aggravating instead of funny.

-deborah
--
This song is Copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of Copyright #
154085, for a period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin it