[DWJ] I have to giggle about this somewhere...

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Mon May 12 16:13:08 EDT 2008

Kait wondered...

> What does "sporking" mean?
>
> Is it because I'm not on Live Journal that I don't know the term?
>
> Or am I just generally uneducated? (grin)

A spork is a cross between a spoon and a fork.  I.e., something basically
spoon-shaped, but with (usually three) tines.

Sporking is (metaphorically) poking someone with a spork.  It usually
involves poking fun at/poking holes in someone's argument, bad writing, bad
research.  With wit as well as accuracy.  For instance, the history_spork
LiveJournal watches historical or purportedly historical films, and reports
on them with all of the historical inaccuracies pointed out and laughed at
(I love the line "well, better than the mad Swede or the dead Russian" in
one of their reviews!).

I don't think it's a LiveJournal-specific term, though.  More of a general
Internet-term.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--