[DWJ] Sequels by other hands (was I have to giggle about this somewhere...)

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon May 12 15:51:17 EDT 2008

and Deborah wrote:

>then in the spirit of not oversharing, I will not send you
>links. ;)

Thank you.

>(I have quite liked what Heyerfic I've read; it mostly seems to
>be the fan-authors having as much fun with Heyeresque language as
>GH clearly did.)

Well, we know from her letters what she thought about plagiarism of her
books in general; on one occasion she deliberately included some incorrect
information just to see whether she was right in supposing that she had a
nothing-like-as-good writer imitating her and publishing the second-rate
results, and sure enough it turned up in the next book of this devoted
follower (or what I would call shoddy little thief, in this particular
instance).  She told the other woman's  publisher, and the other woman
didn't ape her quite so obviously and for profit until after Heyer's death
-- at which time she started stealing characters and ideas again, now the
original author was no longer around to take action against her in law.
(This is a hack who thought that the Battle of Trafalgar happened *after*
the Battle of Waterloo, or so it seems she wrote in one of her books
according to I think it was Robert Robinson's dismissive comments about
her.  He said he supposed she thought of them as stations on the London
Tube.)

I suppose if it is not for monetary gain, but only a public admission of
one's own inability to produce anything of one's own, it isn't so
deplorable.

Why don't the fanfic Heyerites write books of their own about people of
their own, though, I wonder?   There are oodles of Heyer-list authors who
do that, and even who include a Heyer person as a minor walk-on homage in
their books, without feeling obliged to be so slavish...  And Lois McMaster
Bujold's *A Civil Campaign* has very clear nods to heyer in it even if one
doesn't notice the dedication, but it is an original story about her own
people, and it's *fine*.  Pat Wrede and Carolyn Stervermer have taken the
Heyerverse and subverted it with magic, and again, it's fine.  I don't
think I can properly understand this urge to do something second-hand.

Does anyone else happen to have read Arthur Ransome's introduction to *The
Far-Distant Oxus* by Katherine Hull and Pamela Whitlock, in which he talks
of fan-letters to him about families being ashamed to play at being
Swallows and Amazons, but prefering to make up characters of one's own?

Minnow