[DWJ] graphic novels

LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au
Sun Mar 2 20:41:14 EST 2008

Coincidentally, I'm just doing a graphic novel list AS I TYPE THIS.

Good ones are

the Artemis Fowl one, which I actually like better than the book (not
hard).

there's a new series of Agatha Christie graphic novels from Harper Collins
- they're in the French Style (like Tin Tin). There's 8 volumes, with Death
on the Nile, Orient Express, etc.

For middle-years girls, there's the MINX imprint from DC comics - aiming to
provide some positive, kickarse female characters in a genre that tends to
have too many scantily clad, busty plot devices. I recommend Cecil
Castelucci's PLAIN Janes, and Derek Kirk Kim's Good as Lily.

Oh, and the Babysitter's Club graphic novels are quite surprisingly good.
Really.

There's also American Born Chinese, which I'm sure you already have, by
Gene Luen Yang.

For older readers, I'd recommend the BUDDHA series by Tezuka, as well as
NANA, and if you want to be cute ROD (Read Or Die - about a librarian who
can kill you with a sheet of paper). And Her Majesty's Dog has been
recommended to me, but I haven't read it yet.

And Scott Pilgrim, by Bryan Lee O'Malley.

I also LOVE Y: The Last Man, but it's has all of the sex/language/violence
boxes ticked, so that's up to how brave you are.

Lili Wilkinson
Inside a Dog Project Manager
Centre for Youth Literature
State Library of Victoria
328 Swanston Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
PH: 03 8664 7556
FAX: 03 96394143
http://www.insideadog.com.au/
http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/readalert/
http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/youthlit/

             Jon Noble
             <jon_p_noble at yaho
             o.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  Diana Wynne Jones discussion
             dwj-bounces at suber         <dwj at suberic.net>
             ic.net                                                     cc

                                                                   Subject
             01/03/2008 07:47          Re: [DWJ] Re: Dwj Digest, Vol 30,
                                       Issue 12

             Please respond to
             Diana Wynne Jones
                discussion