[DWJ] other things

Juliette Curtis jcurtis at harvestroad.com
Wed Jun 25 21:58:24 EDT 2008

As a technical writer and pilot, I know that incorrect or imprecise language
can kill.

Two examples:

In a tech writing class I attended, we were told of an MRI machine whose
documentation was not precise enough. If a reader misunderstood a particular
instruction and set up the machine wrongly, it threw the machine into an
incompletely-developed mode of operation that could interfere with the
patient's brain functions. That thing killed three people before they
realised what it was doing, and it was the documentation that was at fault.

And a few years ago in Australia there was a collision between two aircraft
that killed three people. The major cause of the collision was that one
pilot had failed to understand a warning that was given to him via his
radio.

Juliette