[DWJ] Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was Re: timetravel/and other things

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Wed Jun 25 10:28:05 EDT 2008

On Jun 23, 2008, at 7:13 PM, emily whitrod wrote:

> There's just too many books out there, and for a while I was just
> reading what was
> on my reading lists for the semester. Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde... can
> anyone say slightly
> BORING?! (blah blah we can't find classics boring. All it had going
> for it was a slightly
> gothic feel)

I got around to reading Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde sometime in the last
couple
of years, after seeing _The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen_**
[stupid but
I can't resist Sean Connery] and reading the graphic novels from
which it
derived {quite interesting, dark, and peculiar].

I didn't find it boring.  You might want to try it again sometime.
Classics
usually do turn out to have something going for them, but having to read
them because they're on reading lists is rarely it.  {Although when I
had to
read _War and Peace_, I _loved_ it.  The last time I tried to reread
it, I got
very annoyed with everybody sitting around fretting about themselves, so
I just put it away until I felt better]

Then, on another paw, I'm 61, so you see you have lots of time to go
back
to them later and try again.

** I also read several other of the books referred to, like _The
Island of Dr.
Moreau_ and _20,00 Leagues Under the Sea_.  I will never be a huge
Verne fan, but it was an interesting experience.

I _had_ already read _The Picture of Dorian Gray_ and _Dracula_.  And
some Fu Manchu books ....

Whenever people say 'We mustn't be sentimental,' you
can take it they are about to do something cruel. And
if they add 'We must be realistic,' they mean they are
going to make money out of it.

                                                - Brigid Brophy