[DWJ] timetravel/and other things

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Jun 24 20:52:10 EDT 2008

Colin wrote:

>I recognise the prescriptivist rules as a social phenomenon, and (as I
>have indicated in other posts) rank them with the rules of fashion or
>cookery, or for that matter bridge. What I react against is people
>treating them as though they were something far more weighty.

This may be a point of difference: I tend to reacte strongly against people
treating them as though they were something far *less* weighty!

I suspect that someone going around tut-tutting and adding apostrophes to
things is showing a similar reaction, really, but in a more extreme form.
Mine is generally a weary sigh rather than agitated wielding of a felt-tip.

Minnow