[DWJ] DWJ interview in PW

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Jun 24 07:37:20 EDT 2008

>On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au wrote:
>

>> Did someone already post this? I can't remember.
>>
>> It's a bit spoilery for House of Many Ways...
>>
>> http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6571179.html
>
>Cool!
>
>"The even more startling thing is that these days people are
>beginning to write theses and books about me. And, you know,
>these books are written by someone called 'Jones' and I keep
>thinking, 'Who is this Jones?' And they find things in the books
>that are definitely there, all of them, but, you know, I hadn't
>realized they were."
>
>That might be the nicest thing she's ever said about us
>academics.

She has several in her family (and is one herself) about whom she may
occasionally have murmured sweet things when she thought nobody else was
listening.  And she's been married to a professor for lo these forty years
(and an academic for more than fifty), and I have heard her being pleasant
about his colleagues, even ones I was having a row with on matters
academical at the time.  Even ones that *she* had been arguing with; in
fact, I suspect she would value an academic more if s/he *did* argue, and
defend a corner: as in your sig monster's apposite comment below.

At the moment she is glorying in a small comment in an essay, in which a
thesis is set up about something or other to do with her writing, then
demolished with the words 'Jones disagrees.'  She uses that phrase a *lot*,
particularly when the cat is around her ankles and someone says 'Dorabella
thinks it's tea-time'  or words to that effect.  :-)

>ObAwesome: This randomly selected signature file was SERIOUSLY
>RANDOMLY SELECTED.  I did not fake it.
>"I don't want to know what the structuralists think!  I want to
>know what you think!"  -- Archer's Goon, Diana Wynne Jones

One could not fake such a fitting thing.

Minnow