[DWJ] timetravel/and other things

Elizabeth Parks henx19 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 20:36:22 EDT 2008

>> The picture is not wholly gloomy:
>>
>> http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/chi-typo-guys-0521may21,0,701362.story
>>

> Whereas my reaction to that story is "Get a life, and find something
> that *matters* to attend to".
>
> Now Minnow will probably spit pebbles at me.
>
> Colin

You know, nobody makes fun of people with perfect pitch for disliking
music that's out of tune.  Nobody objects to being precise about
anything that's mathematical, really.  If there was a sign up saying
that 2 + 2 = 17 (and it wasn't an obvious joke), it would come right
down and be fixed right away, and no one would think anything of it.

But have an ear for grammar instead of music, or find  the mathematics
of grammar more appealing than that of numbers, and you're out of
luck.

Grammar is so unfashionable.

I understand why a lot of people don't get the subtle rules of
grammar--I don't know them all myself.  But the difference between
you're and your is the difference between a Kandinsky and a da Vinci,
or an apple pie and chirashi-zushi (sprinkly fish-rice sushi stuff.)
Don't say I'm pedantic just because I object to having one substituted
for the other.

lizzie