[DWJ] Howl's Moving Castle film

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sat Jun 21 05:12:29 EDT 2008

In <BAY120-W10EDE56A299B549238BFE7E1A40 at phx.gbl>, emily whitrod wrote:

>It's funny, Kiki's Delivery Service did actually make me think of DWJ,
>thought it was a more simplistic plot than you would find in her books.
>It had the sort of feel to it, with magic being an everyday venture,
>and likeable characters.

I think though I could be wrong that KDS was the other one of Miyasaki's
(as opposed to somebody else in his organisation, such as his son)
films that was based on a pre-existing text, and he had such trouble
with the author that he swore not to adapt anyone's work again, and
stuck to that until he did HMC.

>By the way, I'm new to this mailing group. By way of an introduction,
>my name is Emily, I'm 19 years old, I found my first DWJ book when I
>was in early highschool. (I think). It was Fire and Hemlock. I found it
>magical, captivating... and then I found the rest! F&H might still be
>my favourite book, though I love her slightly more comical works, like
>Witch Week. I also loved the Homeward Bounders, the list really could
>go on, since I love them all, but I guess everyone feels that way! I'm
>in my first year of studying junior primary and primary education.

I love the Homeward Bounders and at the same time find it the most
depressing of DWJ's work.  It's so dark for Jamie.  Not that DWJ ever
pulls her punches if someone has to be made unhappy for the story to
work...

>Hello everyone!Emily

Hello Emily!

Minnow