[DWJ] Howl's Moving Castle film

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Sat Jun 21 02:53:00 EDT 2008

After resisting for a long time I finally bought and watched it, determined
not to dislike it because it wasn't like the book (I was allowed to dislike
it for other reasons, e.g. because I don't like anime in general).

Well, I didn't dislike it, not even because it was anime. According to my
eldest daughter who has been watching anime on YouTube lately, it's not
stricly anime anyway. In fact I liked it tremendously, though I'm still
coming to terms with the changes. Both girls who watched it with me and who
haven't read the book yet (one is the DWJ reader, but she's only recently
become competent enough in English to read the books in the original and HMC
hasn't been translated) thought it was absolutely splendid.

Having slept on it, I realise that I'd have *hated* the film for the changes
if Miyazaki had done it *badly*. (Wizard Suliman! Howl's transformations! The
war plot!) But he did it extremely well. Now I want to see _Spirited Away_
too, and not only to see what Miyazaki does with something I don't know by
heart already.

   Irina

--
     "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth
should that mean that it is not real?"           --Albus Dumbledore