[DWJ] Back from PEI

Jackie E Stallcup jstallcup at juno.com
Sun Jul 6 20:20:59 EDT 2008

good guess!  Southern California, the Los Angeles area.  The city that I
live in is Ontario and we're out in what is known as the Inland Empire.
This is the valley to the east of Los Angeles.  I work in Northridge,
which is the much more famous valley to the west of Los Angeles (the
valley of "Valley Girl" fame).  Both valleys are much much hotter in the
summer than the LA area proper because the valley walls block the sea
breezes.  So, whereas it might be 70 down at the beach, it will be 80 or
so where my parents live (very close to the city of LA) and 90 to 100 out
in the Valleys.  That is, an hour drive can change temperatures by as
much as 30 degrees.

As for summer temps in the 20-25 C range, when we were in England one
summer, it was 80 degrees F(about 20-25 C, I think), and people kept
asking us if it was "hot enough" for us, as if this was somehow "HOT".
We had to laugh--that's like a nice fall or even winter temperature for
us--very pleasant!  (It was 104 in January one year).

Jackie