[DWJ] Life on Mars

Aimee Smith aimees001 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 17:54:49 EST 2008

Interesting.
I had thought I disliked this plot strategy universally, but first
someone had the idea that one might have had an adventure then
forgotten it (cool), and then 'Life on Mars' is mentioned.
This plot point is actually something I love about the series (what
I've seen) because it adds a new layer of meaning or mystery: if Sam
*is* hallucinating, why this? What is he there to resolve within his
mind? And is it possible that it can be both time travel *and*
hallucination at the same time?

I also love it because it's good quality and *different* - I'm not
usually interested in crime dramas, especially ones that tend to slip
over into (MA) ratings territory.
I have noticed that just because it might not be real, the fact that
Sam's aware it might not be real and is still willing to get involved,
is enough for me to enter into it too and enjoy it. I suppose this is
also helped by the fact that he appears stuck there and that it's a
consistent dream. It seems that even though it might not be real, it
matters.

Reminds me of Dumbledore's comment at the train station, that.

Aimee