[DWJ] Re: characters losing their memories

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Wed Jan 16 14:12:00 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/16/2008 9:03:57 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, Katarina
Hj?rpe <head_overheels at hotmail.com>
writes:

Btw,  does anyone else mourn that even if there is a heaven, and even if we
get to  meet all kinds of people there, we'll never get to meet our friends
from  books?

I remember Elizabeth Wordsworth said when she was very old that she wanted
to have _Vanity Fair_ read aloud to her, rather than something more serious,
because "I shall soon see people like Shakespeare and Milton, but I shall not
see Becky Sharp."

One of my favorite picture books when I was little was _The Dragon in the
Clock Box_, in which a little boy tells his family that he is hatching a dragon
egg inside the little box the new alarm clock came it. I took it all as
fantasy  -- I mean literary fantasy -- that he really did have a dragon egg, and it
 really did hatch. Later I read the story in a school reader, and the teacher
 said "Do you think he was just imagining the dragon?" (which apart from
anything  else was a DUMB way to begin a discussion) and everyone else said yes. I
was  pissed.

Helen Schinske