[DWJ] characters losing their memories

Katarina Hjärpe head_overheels at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 16 02:47:51 EST 2008

> The entity where it bites for me is the later Buffy episode where
> the possibility arises that everything that's happened up to that
> point might be mad Buffy's hallucinations.
>
> It would have made a brilliantly horrible, or horribly brilliant, season
> closer. I /have/ to believe it isn't madness, otherwise everything
> they've done becomes pointless -- even though it's all fictional.

I remember a friend of mine who was completely fascinated by the idea that Buffy's hallucinations has spin-offs in which she isn't present.

And speaking of spin-offs, the autistic child aspect of St. Elsewhere has strange ramifications: http://home.vicnet.net.au/~kwgow/crossovers.html

My reaction is this: Ignore, ignore, ignore. I hate the thought of doing otherwise.

When I studied children's literature, a theorist claimed that Astrid Lindgren's fantasy tale Mio My Son is "actually" about an abandoned child playing make-believe on a park bench. I reacted instinctively against that - why this need to bring the imagination back to a drab place in the name of reality? - and pointed out since that nothing in the story is true, everything is. You might as well claim that The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe is "actually" about four children playing in a wardrobe. The class reacted with horror at that idea. We all wanted stories to be kept "real".

Btw, does anyone else mourn that even if there is a heaven, and even if we get to meet all kinds of people there, we'll never get to meet our friends from books?

Katta