[DWJ] characters losing their memories

Chris Dollin eh at electrichedgehog.net
Tue Jan 15 12:53:57 EST 2008

On Tuesday 15 January 2008 16:59, Roger Burton West wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 02:01:00PM +0000, Joe wrote:
>
> >Oh, I don't know. Just because something's made up, doesn't mean it isn't true
> >- so why should it be any less true just because there are two layers of
> >made-upness?
>
> I'm trying to pin it down.
>
> I think it's that the work explicitly identifies the primary story as
> fictional (by labelling it fictional within the context of the frame
> story), thereby rubbing one's nose in the synthetic nature of the story
> in a way that mere impossibility does not.

The entity where it bites for me is the later Buffy episode where
the possibility arises that everything that's happened up to that
point might be mad Buffy's hallucinations.

It would have made a brilliantly horrible, or horribly brilliant, season
closer. I /have/ to believe it isn't madness, otherwise everything
they've done becomes pointless -- even though it's all fictional.

--
Meta-Tangled Hedgehog
Notmuchhere: http://www.electrichedgehog.net/