[DWJ] characters losing their memories

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue Jan 15 12:06:20 EST 2008

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Roger Burton West wrote:
> Even then, I don't particularly mind if it's done at the _beginning_ of
> the book - "Here's a story my grandmother told me when I was little",
> say. It's when it's suddenly sprung on one at the end - or, worse, when
> speculation about the level of fictionality becomes part of the
> metastory, as in the recent television series _Life on Mars_ ("has he
> really travelled in time or is he just hallucinating while unconscious
> in hospital") - that I find it objectionable.

Does it make any difference if at least some part of it is
guaranteed to be real within the fiction? For example, in Life on
Mars, I don't think there's any question that *Sam*  is a real
character within the fiction who is genuinely experiencing the
things we see on screen. The only question is whether the
experiences are the result of time travel or hallucination.

-deborah
--
Let me remember this, please, when everything else
goes let me remember a goddess laughing after love.