[DWJ] Re: characters losing their memories

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue Jan 15 11:27:24 EST 2008

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, HSchinske at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 1/14/2008 4:07:54 P.M. Pacific Standard  Time, Minnow
> writes:
>
> It could  be worse, even so.  It could be a narrative in which the
> first-person  narrator character loses her memory, which leaves one to
> wonder *who wrote  it* and how *she* knew.  I have encountered that.
>

> I recall reading a book once in which it was obvious that the whole thing
> was being told from the point of view of one person -- and yet that person dies,
> some pages before the end!

I've seen that done clearly accidentally, but when done well it
can have a fairly horrifying effect. Robert Cormier did something
similar a couple of times that I can think of, in After the First
Death and I Am the Cheese. In both these cases, the narrative
voice is revealed by the story's end to be completely unreliable
as a source of the facts narrated in the story. A little bit
different from the Hexwood unreliability which Gili pointed out.

-deborah
--
Can the gods catch flu?  I think I may have given it to all of them.
 					-- chrestomanci