[DWJ] Spoilers for Hexwood (was: Forgettery)

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue Jan 15 09:15:12 EST 2008

Spoiler space for Hexwood

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:
> Another ObDWJ: I think I've finally realised why the ending of "Hexwood"
> always upset me (spoiler warning: if you haven't read this book and are
> planning to, do not read further, this is a really big spoiler!) I couldn't
> handle the Anne identity simply being written off as a false memory. Anne
> was so real to me at the begining of the book, from her perspective the
> ending was extremely unsatisfactory. Who was this Vierran interloper anyway?
> Not the character I had bonded with at the begining of the book, that's for
> sure. If an identity is remembered, then, at least emotionally, it exists -
> even if it only came into being a moment ago with all the retroactive
> memories intact (just ask Buffy's sister Dawn...)

You've just help me crystallize something that has also always
bothered me about Hexwood. I spend the book identifying with a
child narrator, and at the end of the story she is erased and
replaced with this young woman. It's very clever, but definitely
bothersome. I feel like it is writing away the validity of young
human Anne's cleverness.

-deborah
--
"I'm a very gentle man, not unlike Gandhi. ... I could kill them
at any moment. But that's really just if they annoy me."