[DWJ] characters losing their memories

Joe oddenda at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 09:01:00 EST 2008

On 15 Jan 2008, at 13:29, Roger Burton West wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 12:53:02PM +0000, Nicholas Jackson wrote:
>
>> A better instance of this, I think, was the hospital drama St
>> Elsewhere,
>> whose final series ended with a long view of the hospital in a
>> snowstorm,
>> which then merged into a close-up shot of a snow globe held, and being
>> intently watched, by an autistic child.  The child's grandfather
>> remarks
>> to his father (both played by the same actors as two of the doctors in
>> the series) "He's been very quiet all day.  I don't know what he sees
>> in there."
>
> This has pinned down my objection to that device - even when it's done
> well, as it sounds as though it was in that case, the message is "the
> story in which you have just made substantial emotional investment was
> utterly meaningless" - not just that it's a work of fiction, but that
> it's _doubly_ fictitious.

Oh, I don't know. Just because something's made up, doesn't mean it
isn't true - so why should it be any less true just because there are
two layers of made-upness?

And by 'true' I don't mean just ideas, but people and interactions and
events. Think of Mig's objection to Aunt Maria's punishment -- hang on,
maybe this is a spoiler --

SPOILER SPACE (which has also given me the chance to go and find the
book)

"Couldn't Cranbury start up again - sort of in her mind? So we'd all be
figments of her imagination there and have to do what she wanted?"

And how about the writer in Dan and nad adn Quaffy?

Not to mention Tom and Polly in F&H with the giant in the supermarket,
etc? (OK, that's magically enhanced, but...)

Joe