[DWJ] Song lyrics

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue Jan 15 08:56:22 EST 2008

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Judith Ridge wrote:
> I adore Billy Bragg (and the deeply lamented Kirsty MacColl, RIP, who
> recorded her own lovely but very different version of the song).

It's funny. It absolute favorite version of the song is the
Kirsty MacColl version, which is just gorgeous. My absolute
favorite Billy Bragg music is the tunes he put to all of those
lost Woody Guthrie songs that Nora Guthrie found in the attic, on
Mermaid Avenue. And my absolute favorite of those lost Woody
Guthrie songs with music by Billy Bragg is the unrecorded version
of "Way over Yonder in a Minor Key" as performed by Girlyman.
(For which I have a legal, band-improved, if indifferent-quality
bootleg, if anyone would like to hear it.)

I think I have a thing for good covers.

... and my own personal quest to have a ObDWJ for every post is
fairly stumped by this one, unless I start talking about covers
and mashups being music's equivalent of fanfiction and
retellings, and point out that there were a *really* high number
of DWJ stories in this year's Yuletide, the annual rare fandom
fanfiction challenge.

-deborah
--
What is an 'evil shape', I wonder?  Could a triangle be evil, for
example?  Are some kind of triangles decent and God-fearing,