[DWJ] characters losing their memories

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Tue Jan 15 08:29:00 EST 2008

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 12:53:02PM +0000, Nicholas Jackson wrote:

>A better instance of this, I think, was the hospital drama St Elsewhere,
>whose final series ended with a long view of the hospital in a snowstorm,
>which then merged into a close-up shot of a snow globe held, and being
>intently watched, by an autistic child.  The child's grandfather remarks
>to his father (both played by the same actors as two of the doctors in
>the series) "He's been very quiet all day.  I don't know what he sees
>in there."

This has pinned down my objection to that device - even when it's done
well, as it sounds as though it was in that case, the message is "the
story in which you have just made substantial emotional investment was
utterly meaningless" - not just that it's a work of fiction, but that
it's _doubly_ fictitious.