[DWJ] Song lyrics

Judith Ridge judith_ridge at netspace.net.au
Tue Jan 15 06:35:58 EST 2008

On 15/1/08 8:38 PM, "dwj-request at suberic.net" <dwj-request at suberic.net>
wrote:

> From: Gili Bar-Hillel <gbhillel at netvision.net.il>
> Subject: RE: [DWJ] characters losing their memories
> To: Diana Wynne Jones discussion <dwj at suberic.net>
>
> Minnow wrote:
>
>> It could be worse, even so.  It could be a narrative in which the
>> first-person narrator character loses her memory, which leaves one to
>> wonder *who wrote it* and how *she* knew.  I have encountered that.
>>
>> 'After twenty years alone in my fastness, I died.  I buried myself.
>> Reader, can you say the same?'
>

> Yeah, there's that song that always irks me:
>
> "I was twenty one years when I wrote this song
> I'm twenty two now, but I won't be for long"
>
> What song exactly was it that you wrote when you were twenty one? The one
> about your being twenty two?

That is from the brilliant, won't-hear-a-word-against-him, Billy Bragg and
his classic Thatcher-era song "New England". It's about time passing and
things changing too quickly, and love lost and is gently ironic (and
meta-lyrical!) and self-deprecating and not a little plaintive, as is the
whole song (and BB's ouvre, pretty much!)

"I was twenty one years when I wrote this song
I'm twenty two now, but I won't be for long
People ask when will you grow up to be a man
But all the girls I loved at school
Are already pushing prams...

...I don't want to save the world
I'm not looking for a New England
I'm just looking for another girl."

I adore Billy Bragg (and the deeply lamented Kirsty MacColl, RIP, who
recorded her own lovely but very different version of the song).

Judith

--
Judith Ridge
My blog: http://www.misrule.com.au/s9y/

--
Well, smack my ass and call me Judy!
(³Friends² 1:15‹The One with the Stoned Guy)