[DWJ] characters losing their memories

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Tue Jan 15 05:25:18 EST 2008

Paul maintained

> Actually, as I recall, 'The Box of Delights' uses that other wonderful
> ending-ruining device, "He woke up. It had all been a dream."

I wonder if those are so common because Lewis Carroll (over-) used them?

I've always liked "It was all a dream.  But..." endings.  DWJ did a pretty straight one in "The Master".  Wolfgang Hohlbein failed to redeem the end of "Märchenmond" when he added one: I found it too subtle for all the unsubtle stuff he'd been doing after the Final Confrontation (OMT).  I can't think of any others off-hand.

The extreme, I suppose, of this idea is "The Lathe of Heaven" by Ursula le Guin.

Philip.
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 192000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432