[DWJ] The New Policeman

Charles Butler charles.hannibal at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 04:36:56 EST 2008

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Kathleen Jennings wrote:

> Are there any books in which the remembering is taken further - that
> element of living in the 'real' world and remembering the adventures
> and being changed by them, but not able to get back?

There's a rather lovely short piece of *Dark is Rising* slash, which was
linked on the LJ DIR community a few months ago. It's set some time after
the end of the DIR sequence, and has Will and Bran on a camping trip. Bran
has strange dreams in which he remembers flashes of his previous adventures,
and tries to convey them to Will; and Will has to sit there, knowing
everything, and not being able to tell. It was well written, and got across
the bleak loneliness and repression of the situation brilliantly.

On forgetting generally - I'm not a big fan, but having now finished *The
Hounds of the Morrigan* it seems to me that what O'Shea is trying to do
there (and I think the same may also be true of Cooper) isn't so much banish
her characters from the magical world as to give her readers a back-door way
*in*. In both those books, the children half-remember at times - they have a
vivid dream, they hear a name or a haunting melody and find it tantalisingly
familiar, they have the sense of something just out of reach. Well, isn't
the case with most of us? (It certainly is with me.) So, rather than say to
the reader, in effect: "You too may one day have an adventure like this,"
perhaps we should read Cooper and O'Shea is as hinting that *we may already
have had one*.

Just a thought!

Charlie

--