[DWJ] The New Policeman

LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au
Mon Jan 14 19:07:00 EST 2008

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Kathleen Jennings wrote:
> Are there any books in which the remembering is taken further - that
> element of living in the 'real' world and remembering the adventures
> and being changed by them, but not able to get back?

The end of The House at Pooh Corner is the most bittersweet example I can
think of.

"So they went off together. But wherever they go, and whatever happens to
them on the way, in that enchanted place on the top of the Forest, a little
boy and his bear will always be playing."

Lili Wilkinson
Inside a Dog Project Manager
Centre for Youth Literature
State Library of Victoria
328 Swanston Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
PH: 03 8664 7556
FAX: 03 96394143
http://www.insideadog.com.au/
http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/readalert/
http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/youthlit/

             deborah.dwj at suber
             ic.net
             dwj-bounces at suber         Diana Wynne Jones discussion
             ic.net                    <dwj at suberic.net>
                                                                        cc

             15/01/2008 10:53                                      Subject
                                       Re: [DWJ] The New Policeman

             Please respond to
             Diana Wynne Jones
                discussion
             <dwj at suberic.net>

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Kathleen Jennings wrote:
> Are there any books in which the remembering is taken further - that
> element of living in the 'real' world and remembering the adventures
> and being changed by them, but not able to get back?

Not exactly the same, but the reason I can't bear the Secret
Country books is the people who are left behind in the real world
-- breaks my heart for them, and I can't bear it.

Narnia you can only get back to by dying, eventually, although
they're all happy enough about it.

And ObDWJ, you could say Homeward Bounders ends with Jamie
wishing he *could* go home, and Archer's Goon has all the
forgetting in the middle.  Not what you were asking, of course.

-deborah
--
Glory be to God for dappled things         -- G. M. Hopkins