[DWJ] Best and Worst of 2007

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 13 00:20:01 EST 2008

Melissa Proffitt wrote:

>What makes it worse is that this is a variant on an existing code--the
>pinprick code, which works exactly the same way, but with pinholes, and you
>don't usually use a book, but a loose sheet of paper.  People really should
>not try to be clever if they don't know what they're talking about--and
>Pierce, for all her sterling qualities as a writer, does not think like a
>spy.  And since I do...let's just say it's not a match.

I find Pierce horribly patchy, which in a way is worse than her just
being bad (so that I could just not bother with her at all). Her earlier
books are full of grammatical ... infelicities ... and there was that
horrible set in the Circle of Magic books that were supposed to be for a
younger audience, but went all Patricia Cornwell (the one about earth
magic where all the little murdered children were in the potplants). But
then the Knight books were cool (both series) and the ones about the
animal magic had some great moments. It's so hit or miss, I find her
absolutely frustrating.

Irrelevant but true: her website has to be my choice for ugliest author
website ever.

robyn