[DWJ] Joan Aiken (was: Georgette Heyer)

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Jan 7 13:47:03 EST 2008

>> -- Jenne/Jadwiga, who slept in this morning because her dream was a
>> movie
>> version of a Diana Wynne Jones book (with Terry Pratchett influences
>> and
>> plot twists from our latest video Game, Dark Cloud 2) in which
>> Chrestomanci appeared as the Emperor of Wittgenstein. The movie was
>> *not*
>> as good as the book, and I kept trying to remember where I had left my
>> copy of the book to re-read it. :)
>

> Wittgenstein, the small middle-European state? Ruled with a rod of
> pithy one-liners? I'm sure Chrestomanci could pull it off.

Yes, our heroine was a public librarian who became aware of the situation
through strange changes in authority records for the poet Wittgenstern,
and eventually ended up kidnapping the confused Wittgenstern off a
streetcorner when he appeared from another timeline into hers.   As I
recall the denouemont involved her realizing that the plot of a french
medieval folktale/fairy poem was being used to trap Chrestomanci into the
situation through her perception of it. Once she realized that, she was
able to free Chrestomanci and things were sorted out-- but that did NOT
translate well to film. It all seemed very _Fire & Hemlock_-ish.

--
-- Jenne Heise / Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
jenne at fiedlerfamily.net