[DWJ] Joan Aiken (was: Georgette Heyer)

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon Jan 7 12:00:49 EST 2008

Alayne wrote:

>Joan Aiken wrote at least 4 different types of books, all quite distinct:
>* fantasy/alternate world books, like the Dido Twite chronicles
>* Jane Austen completions
>* Regency romances
>* adult mysteries/thrillers, many quite dark
>and probably at least 1 or 2 other genres I've forgotten. Just because you
>like some of her books doesn't mean you'll like the others.
>
>I would avoid The Cockatrice Boys at all costs, and start with The Wolves
>of Willoughby Chase, myself.

Personally I am fondest of the collections of her short stories: *A Small
Pinch of Weather*, *A Necklace of Raindrops*, *All But A Few*, *A Harp of
Fishbones*...  It's a nuisance that the stories were collected variously in
the UK and the US, and there is a lot of overlap so one thinks 'oooh, a new
one!' and it turns out one has already read it all, but they're great fun.
I'm not so fond of her horror stories.

Minnow