[DWJ] Joan Aiken (was: Georgette Heyer)

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Mon Jan 7 12:00:04 EST 2008

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca wrote:
> * fantasy/alternate world books, like the Dido Twite chronicles
> I would avoid The Cockatrice Boys at all costs, and start with The Wolves
> of Willoughby Chase, myself.

I adore Joan Aiken's alternate world books. Wolves of Willoughby
Chase is the first of them but I think not that representative. I
started with Black Hearts in Battersea, the second book, and it
worked very well for me. I'm not that fond of some of the later
Dido books (The Stolen Lake; Dido and Pa) but I quite like the Is
books that follow them.

Trivia: all of my computers that I control are named after
kickass children's literature heroines. When I had to retire my
old laptop, named "Dido", I replaced it with a new one named
"Isabett".

ObDWJ: there is a mild similarity in the styles of Joan Aiken's
and DWJ's conclusions. It can also has a tendency to go towards
that chaotic everybody-present-and-explaining-conspiracies
conclusion. But in Aiken, there tend to be more explosions at the
end.

-deborah
--
Let me remember this, please, when everything else
goes let me remember a goddess laughing after love.