[DWJ] Joan Aiken (was: Georgette Heyer)

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Mon Jan 7 11:07:24 EST 2008

Joan Aiken wrote at least 4 different types of books, all quite distinct:
* fantasy/alternate world books, like the Dido Twite chronicles
* Jane Austen completions
* Regency romances
* adult mysteries/thrillers, many quite dark
and probably at least 1 or 2 other genres I've forgotten. Just because you
like some of her books doesn't mean you'll like the others.

I would avoid The Cockatrice Boys at all costs, and start with The Wolves
of Willoughby Chase, myself.

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"I propose a new standard by which to judge mainstream literature. The
more often a fantasy reader thinks, 'Oh, just forget all that and go save
the world, will you?' the lower the quality of the book." -- Janni Lee Simner