[DWJ] Books of 2007

LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au
Mon Jan 7 01:06:28 EST 2008

Elizabeth said: (re Spellbook of Listen Taylor)
One of the reviews on Amazon says that it's a revised version of an
adult novel. . . it still strikes me as a strange choice for YA.
Anybody else feel that way?

I read the adult one - I Have a Bed Made of Buttermilk Pancakes, when it
came out a couple of years ago, and I started reading Listen Taylor in
2007, but couldn't get much further past the first few chapters as it felt
SO MUCH like its adult version. I'm sure there are differences, but my
rather faulty memory couldn't find any of them. I found that both rather
lacked the delicious humour of Jaclyn's YA titles.

Gili said:
* "Dragonkeeper" by Carol Wilkinson. Possibly the best book I've read all
year.

I will tell Mum you said so. She will be pleased.

on to...

My favourites of 2007:

YA:
Before I Die, Jenny Downham. I wept. For some hours. And then felt
incredibly uplifted and... catharted.
Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac, Gabrielle Zevin. I was lukewarm about
Elsewhere, but was totally won over by this one.
Hero, Perry Moore. Not a perfect novel by a long shot, but is many good
steps towards more Queer-themed books that don't make you want to kill
yourself.
King Dork, Frank Portman. I actually reckon this should have been published
as an adult book, as it seems to be striking more chords with GenXers than
with YAs.
Dreamquake, Elizabeth Knox. The sequel to Dreamhunter, very moving and
amazing and the kind of fantasy I wish there was more of.

Graphic Novels:
Y: The Last Man by Brian K Vaughn, and Buddha by Osamu Tezuka. I'm halfway
through the Buddha series at the moment and it is so good I can't even
begin to articulate. I knew Tezuka was pretty cool for Astro Boy, but this
is just a whole new level.

And I'm not going to do a "Worst of", but I will say that I am UTTERLY sick
of Victorian/Edwardian-esque, slightly arch, "charming" fantasy novels for
middle grades. There are ENOUGH now. Let's do something else.

Happy New Year!

Lili (who is determined to lurk less in 2008)

Lili Wilkinson
Inside a Dog Project Manager
Centre for Youth Literature
State Library of Victoria
328 Swanston Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
PH: 03 8664 7556
FAX: 03 96394143
http://www.insideadog.com.au/
http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/readalert/
http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/youthlit/

This message and any attachment is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please delete all copies of the message and its attachments and notify the sender immediately. Thank you.