[DWJ] Georgette Heyer (also "what this list has given me")

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sun Jan 6 12:48:44 EST 2008

Jackie asked...

> I have a gift card to a book store from Christmas and am ready to go
> buy.... what?  Which Georgette Heyer do I start with?

Her romances fall into a few different sub-categories, so I'd be inclined to
say you should choose a sub-category that appeals.

If you like depictions of Regency London's high society, I'd suggest
"Arabella" (my own first Heyer).
If you'd rather something more country-house-ish, "The Unknown Ajax" is a
great read (and very funny, and has a mystery as well).
If you fancy melodrama and sentimentality in the Georgian era, "These Old
Shades" is a book to wallow in.

Two books I would suggest *not* starting with are "Cousin Kate" and "A Civil
Contract".  The former is Heyer's go at a Gothick, and it's really very odd
and quite atypical.  The latter is actually a very lovely romance, but it's
very far from the boy-meets-girl-and-falls-madly-in-love variety; the
romance is very understated indeed, and again it's atypical.

HTH

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--