[DWJ] Georgette Heyer (also "what this list has given me")

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Sun Jan 6 02:01:28 EST 2008

NOT Cousin Kate. NOT My Lord John. NOT any of the mysteries or any of her
early novels like Pastel. I personally love The Great Roxhythe, but this
taste is not shared by many, so I'd be wary of recommending it.

Aside from that, you need to decide if you prefer the romance in Heyer or
the comedy of manners. If the latter, you will love A Civil Contract, The
Reluctant Widow, The Masqueraders, The Foundling, Faro's Daughter, Black
Sheep; if the former, you may not like them as much. The romance readers,
OTOH, will probably like Arabella, April Lady, Friday's Child, Regency
Buck, and These Old Shades to a greater extent.

You also have to decide what your comfort level is with non-modern
language. Powder and Patch or The Masqueraders or These Old Shades are
more "affected" than some of the later Regencies, although Heyer does have
a quite distinctive vocabulary.

On the other hand, just about everyone likes Venetia or Cotillion or The
Toll-Gate or Frederica, and they really are well-written.

As far as sequels, you should read These Old Shades, Devil's Cub, and An
Infamous Army in that order. The rest can be read in any order.

Alayne