[DWJ] Georgette Heyer (also "what this list has given me")

Jackie E Stallcup jstallcup at juno.com
Sat Jan 5 23:09:23 EST 2008

Oh, dear.  It's so complicated!

I suppose I just don't want to start in the middle of a series, where I'm
supposed to know who everyone is already and what their inside jokes
mean.

Also, romp and skulduggery and Twins Who Cannot Be Told Apart sound good.
 Melancholy and upsetting do not.  (Let me put it this way:  I love To
Say Nothing of the Dog and re-read it fairly often.  I ate up Doomsday
Book, Lincoln's Dream and Passage, but have not wanted to re-read them
yet--too upsetting.  perhaps that tells you something about my pleasure
reading preferences.)

I also love Joan Aiken, both adult and children's books (though i like
less the last few in the Dido Twite Chronicles, which get positive
body-strewn).

I haven't read many (any?) regency romances, but am quite open to such.
Oh, I did read (and enjoy) Sorcery and Cecelia by Wrede and Stevener--is
that a regency? (displaying my ignorance!)

I'm in the middle of re-reading my Dorothy Sayers books (put back onto
them again by all the discussion of 1930s detective novels in Dog).  As a
general rule, I like mysteries best when there are interesting people in
them.  For example, I love Dick Francis not for the mysteries, which are
often not "true" mysteries (in the sense that the reader can work them
out if sufficiently attentive), but because I find the people and places
fascinating.  I didn't like Agatha Christie when i first tried her for
the same reason:  I felt stupid because I couldn't work out the mystery
and I found the people off-putting.  but I tried again (again, nudged by
Willis in Dog), with "The Mirror Cracked" and quite liked it because I
found Miss Marple very engaging in her fight to regain her independence
from a nurse who wanted to treat her like a child.

There are a million other books that I like, but those seem most relevant
to this discussion.

I'm writing down all of the suggestions and look forward to getting
started!

Thank you!

Jackie