[DWJ] Books of the year 2007

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 15:53:44 EST 2008

On 05/01/2008, Susanna Victoria <dragonflygreen11 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I completely agree.  I gave up after only one (although If I had bought
> two in a twofer deal as you did, perhaps I would have stuck it out through
> one more.  I found his writing style unbearably smug and condescending.

That's part of the joke.

If they don't appeal, they don't appeal, but I found them increasingly witty
and unnerving. I read all thirteen last Christmas, and although I did get
bogged down in the middle ones (this kind of Saturday morning serial
adventure never was meant for adults) the last three are flat out weird and
well worth the effort--nothing at all of what you might expect at the end of
these books. The binary nature of good and evil, for example, is completely
dismantled.

Farah