[DWJ] Books of the year 2007

Susanna Victoria dragonflygreen11 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 5 14:05:56 EST 2008

*delurk*

Philip Belben wrote:

>A well-known series that I tried for the first time, and didn't think
much of, was A Series of Unfortunate Events.  A Series of Unfortunate
Stylistic Devices would be nearer the mark!  Not that it's badly
written, but some of the deliberate stylistic games Snicket plays are
just too silly.  I read two of them (they were on two for the price of
one at my local bookshop) and gave up.

I completely agree.  I gave up after only one (although If I had bought two in a twofer deal as you did, perhaps I would have stuck it out through one more.  I found his writing style unbearably smug and condescending.