[DWJ] Hohlbein

Tina liril at gmx.net
Sat Jan 5 08:29:19 EST 2008

Philip (Energy Wholesale) schrieb

on Operation Nautilus
> And a few pages in, we get (I haven't looked up the exact text):
>
>    "Hallo", sagte er einsilbig.
>
> Now "einsilbig" means monosyllabic. So, as Fowler put it, "This must have been a remarkable feat of articulation."  Einsilbig, like monosyllabic, "bears its meaning too plainly on its face to be a suitable subject for an experiment in slipshod extension."

Actually, that's a bit like these Hexer von Salem books with all their
drama and pathos. Can be considered funny, but was certainly not
intended to be funny. I've never heard about those books, but with the
number Hohlbein produces...
> (Digression:  Is there a German book like Fowler's Modern English Usage?  Fowler is such a useful tool, and I'd really like to have such a book for German too, if only to stop my tutor trying to force on me a style to which I object!)

I'm not sure, as I don't know Fowler's Modern English Usage. However
from how you describe it, I'd recommend two books/authors concerning
style and usage. One is "Stilfibel" by Ludwig Reiners. The slight
drawback of this book is that it is 40 years old. But on the other hand
it is a classic, and many of the recommendations can be considered
timeless. The other author I'd recommend is Wolf Schneider (e.g. Deutsch
fürs Leben or the longer Deutsch für Profis). Schneider is apparently
mandatory reading in many editiorial departments.  I found both books
helpful to work on my writing style for my dissertation, which had
really suffered after studying law.

>  I didn't feel a particularly strong LOTR connection.  There were some good devices early on, and the direction of the quest was (for me) quite unusual:  First, to find his own way to the fantasy world; then to escape from the Dark Lord (except that the identity of the "Schwarze Lord" made that rather difficult), and then to go off, leaving them to fight, in quest of an almost mythical being...
>
> What I found weakest was the ease with which Kim escaped from Boraas; the confusing motives for the final confrontation (OMT) between Boraas, Themistocles, the Rainbow king, and others; and weakest of all, the way all the goodies came back to life once Boraas had been defeated!

Now that I read that, you're right: The book I had in mind wasn't
Märchenmond, it was Elfentanz. Which has Timo as Hero, a boy from a race
of small people living in the woods. The other "good" races are Humans,
Elben (which is how Tolkien's Elves are called in the German translation
of LoTR) and Elfen (elves, wich is an original touch in relation to the
Elben, who are a lot like Tolkien's elves). And there different kinds of
evil beings, too, with names I forgot, but basically Orcs, Trolls and
Wargs etc. And a Dark Lord, of course. Timo, who's always dreamed of
seeing the High Stronghold of the Elben, acquires a powerful amulet and
has to decide wether to use its terrible power for destruction to help
the good side or not. The book is ok, actually. If I had to recommend
Hohlbein, it would be the earlier childrens/ya books I mentioned,
because they were really better than the few adult books I read by him.

Thinking about Hohlbein made me realize again that many of the books I
read as a kid were translations of English books (ObDWJ :-) And today I
read mostly English books and therefore haven't managed to read anything
by Cornelia Funke yet...

Bettina