[DWJ] DWJ article

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Fri Jan 4 08:12:46 EST 2008

A discussion was in progress about DWJ's treatment of women in
authority, and whether she is one:

> She doesn't ever tell people that they ought to do things, nor look
> Grieved and Shocked if they don't, nor pull the dreary 'you have to be
> careful about not doing as I say because I have a broken back/weak
> hip/heart condition and your being unkind to me might make me ill'
> card.  Maybe that is a point.  I suppose that *could* be reverse
> bullying: because she never asks, everyone casts around for things to
> make her feel good with! Very cunning, if so.  She lights up like a
> candle when she's happy, and her hair expands, so one wants to make it
> happen.

Some of these issues are discussed by Heyer in "Lady of Quality", where
the girl explains to the heroine how various relatives go about bullying
Ninian.  (One, IIRC, appeals to his better nature, and the worst of it
is, Ninian _has_ a better nature!)

Philip (who hasn't read either LoQ or BS for yonks, but after this
discussion might do so again soon.)
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 182000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432