[DWJ] Books of 2007

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Wed Jan 2 17:00:52 EST 2008

I've read both. There are definite similarities both in theme and in tone,
but if it's a ripoff, it's one of those cases in which the student has
outdone the master. "Dragon Slippers" starts out in a similar lighthearted
fashion but digs deeper. Unlike "Dealing with Dragons", this book involves
real pain and real loss; the danger feels more dangerous (if that makes any
sense). I'd also say it's geared for slightly older readers that Wrede's
book, and is a bit more sophisticated. Wrede's world is not much more than a
negative of various fairytale tropes, whereas George's is more fully fleshed
out in its own right.