[DWJ] Books of 2007

Elizabeth Parks henx19 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 11:21:53 EST 2008

Gili wrote:

* "Sahara Special" by Esme Raji Cordell. Tearjerker about a misfit
fifth-grader. I cried my eyes out, and can't say it wasn't a good book - but
I had to wonder who the target audience was. An adult wouldn't read a book
so clearly marketed to young readers, and I doubt many young readers would
have the perspective to appreciate the characters.

I say:

this reminds me of my reaction to _The Spell Book of Listen Taylor_ by
Jaclyn Moriarty.  It's a YA book (in the US), and the title character
is a YA, but it focuses mainly on older characters, and the overall
theme of the book is adultery.  I liked it (not as well as the murder
of bindy mackenzie, but more than the year of secret assignments), but
I know without a doubt that I would have hated it as a young teen.  I
was far too romantic, and far too vehemently anti-adultery whatsoever
without any of the later experiences (not committing adultery or
cheating, i must admit) or knowledge that let me be sympathetic to the
characters.

One of the reviews on Amazon says that it's a revised version of an
adult novel. . . it still strikes me as a strange choice for YA.
Anybody else feel that way?

lizzie