[DWJ] Re: Dwj Digest, Vol 30, Issue 12

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 29 15:47:39 EST 2008

----- Original Message ----
From: "deborah.dwj at suberic.net" <deborah.dwj at suberic.net>
To: Diana Wynne Jones discussion <dwj at suberic.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 1, 2008 12:44:36 AM
Subject: Re: [DWJ] Re: Dwj Digest, Vol 30, Issue 12

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008, Joe Nankivell wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Jennifer Rowland <janamouse at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> (Now back to buying books for the library. Nonparametric Statistics with
>> Applications to Science and Engineering, or The Analysis of Cross-classified
>> Categorical Data? It's a tough one.)
>>

> Ah - you've just nailed the _other_ downside: "buying books" covers rather a
> lot of ground. On my desk at the moment: "Head injury: the facts" (yuk),
> "Foundations of marketing" (snore), "Irish tort legislation" (double snore -
> unless, of course, it's what you're into). Want me to go on?
>
> Of course, I don't get to choose them; I just have to buy them. And look at
> them when they arrive. ("Diseases of the sheep: a colour atlas"...)

I don't know, sometimes it's interesting to see what people
create books about. When we had to digitize "Lead Poisoning in
Antiquity", that was a fun one.

Is there any acceptance these days of the theory that lead poising from water pipes was a factor in the decline of the Roman empire.
In a school library one can at least buy lots of interesting books. In an age when the Internet is the only place where many kids will bother looking for information I have an obligation to sellect books that they will want to take off the shelf. I can't justify spending my quite limited budget on something no-one will ever look at. At the moment that means buying lots of graphic novels and manga - always on the lookout for recomendations (hint, hint - remembering that our youngest readers might only be 11 year olds)

Jon